The Virginia-built schooners of the late 1700's and the early 1800's helped win the war for
independence, and established the city of Baltimore as a major shipbuilding center. Known as
Baltimore Clippers, many were used as privateers during the War of 1812. Sleek, light, and
exceptionally fast, they could overtake and seize the enemy with ease, obstructing British shipping
and earning huge profits for their owners.
In 1974 Baltimore city officials decided to build a replica of a 19th century clipper to serve as a goodwill
ambassador for the city. The ship, named Pride of Baltimore
was launched at Baltimore's Inner Harbor on February
27, 1977. She was lost at sea during a hurricane on May 14, 1986. The city commissioned a larger sister-ship, and
the Pride of Baltimore II
was launched on April 30, 1989.
Pride of Baltimore II Web Site: